Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Don't Like Salad! ......Tuesday Book Look for National Salad Month

May is National Salad Month! (yep, we're almost finish with May holidays). This Tuesday's book is "I don't Like Salad!" a book written by Tony Ross. It is also linked with a tv show called Little Princess. No, I have never heard of the show either but the book is cute. It's official synopsis says:
The Little Princess has decided she doesn't like salad - especially tomatoes. But when she is given some seeds of her own and sees the first shoots of her tomato plant appear, she changes her mind!
The little Princess's attitude is one that a lot of kids and some adults will sympathize with. But in the end we all know (sorta) that veggies are good for you. I agree with the premise of the book that planting seeds and watching them grow is a good way to get kids to try a variety of veggies. Cooking is also a good way to get kids involved in what they eat.
I've given a recipe below for a salad, linked to another of my blogs that has a cute salad story and recipe and given a vid on making a salad with a fun name.

The Salad...a tale from the Brothers Grimm and a recipe for Spinach and Strawberry Salad

Easy Waldorf Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup granny smith apples, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup walnuts

Directions:
1. Sprinkle chopped apples with lemon juice and mix together..
2. Add celery, raisins and walnuts.Stir together.
3. Add mayonnaise and stir, coating all of the ingredients.
4. Serve chilled.

Simple Tomato Basil Salad Recipe

How to Make a Healthy "Worm" Salad for Kids








2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Oh I LOVE this post, Lauren! The book is enticing and the Spinach and Strawberry Salad sounds simply delightful. Do you know what age group this book is for? My granddaughter is 7 and Noah is 5.

I keep on forgetting to mention Salad Month again. Writing a note "as we speak."

Thank you so much for sharing...

BTW, have you ever visited A Duck in Her Pond? I really think you would enjoy a visit. Miranda is quite the storyteller. She has a few books published too.

La, Storyteller/Storysinger said...

Hi Loise,
This is supposed to be a preschool age book but that's no reason to not read it to older kids or rather they can read it themselves and then come up with their own version of the book.
No, I haven't visited the site you mentioned but I will. I love finding new storytellers and authors.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Lauren